While following our video tutorials or reading about our products, you may come across a term you do not recognize. We’ve compiled a cabinet refacing vocabulary list to help.

General Cabinet Refacing Vocabulary

Cabinet Box: The main wood structure that determines the shape and size of your cabinets.

Cabinet Face: The outward facing cabinet front where doors attach.

Face Frame: The face frame is built on the front of the cabinet box and looks a bit like a picture frame. This is where the cabinet doors attach.

Frameless: A cabinet face that does not use a face frame. Instead of mounting doors to the face frame, frameless construction uses concealed hinges. Also referred to as European cabinets.

Reveal: The amount of face frame you see around the door and drawer fronts when they are closed.

Rails: Horizontal pieces of wood in the face frame and cabinet doors.

Stiles: Vertical pieces of wood in the face frame and cabinet doors.

Raised Panel:The center panel of the cabinet door has decorative elements that are contoured to add dimension.

Inset Panel: Also referred to as a flat panel, the center panel of the cabinet door is flat, without any contour.

Side Panels: Sides of the cabinets with no doors attached.

End Panel: Side of the cabinet that extends to the wall.

Miter: Also known as a miter joint, is a joint made by cutting two pieces, usually at 45°, to form a right angle.

Cope and Run: Also known as Cope and Stick Joint, this is a kind of mortise and tenon joint. Tongues are cut in the sides of the rails, fitting into matching grooves in the stiles.

Dovetail: Strong joint often used for drawer boxes. Matching V-like structures are cut into the edges of joining ends to form a secure, tight lock. This is a kind of mortise and tenon joint.

Corbel: Decorative, supporting wall bracket placed under countertop overhang or floating shelves.

Kolbe Korner: A type of L mounting bracket used for drawer fronts.

MDF: An abbreviation of Medium-Density Fiberboard, MDF is a durable and inexpensive alternative to solid wood for cabinet doors and moldings. It resists warping and looks identical to solid wood using any of our tinted lacquers.

cabinet refacing vocabulary

Refacing Materials, Cabinet Styles, and Finishes

1/4″ Skin Pre-cut Plywood: Premiere refacing material to cover your cabinet box. It is made of MDF core 1/4″ inch material that does not bubble, lifting, snag, or crack like when using veneer.

Veneer: A thin decorative wood covering applied to the cabinet box. A more traditional solution for refacing cabinets. We offer peel and stick veneer.

Banding: 1-inch wide veneer that is specifically designed to go on the inside edges of all your cabinet faces.

Shaker: One of our most popular cabinet door styles. It has simple, squared off rails and stiles and a flat recessed panel. Often painted white.

Bead Board: Decorative wood center panel style with evenly-spaced grooves. Often paired with the squared off rails and stiles that are featured in Shaker. Great for a classic farmhouse look.

Select-Grade: Highest quality cabinet door wood. Select-grade is color blemish free and perfect for our stains.

Paint-Grade: Cabinet door wood that has minor color blemishes from sap but are otherwise identical to our select-grade wood. These color blemishes may show through our stains but will not show through our opaque tinted lacquer.

Rustic Wood: Cabinet wood with wood knots and heavy grain. We currently stock Rustic Alder wood.

Stain: Stains are used to add color and bring out the natural beauty of our cabinet doors and refacing materials. All Outside the Box stains are water-based and grain, knots, and wood color will show through.

Tinted Lacquer: A superior alternative to painted cabinets with a more durable finish. Opaque, hard surface top coat mixed with pigments that completely covers the wood.

Custom Glaze: Accented finish that is hand applied over the stain or tinted lacquer of a finished door. Highlights the door details by seeping into the crevices to add depth.

Examples of Tinted Lacquer

Cabinet Millwork and Molding

Crown Molding: In the case of cabinets, crown molding is used for capping tops of cabinets to complete a finished top edge.

Base Molding: Similar to crown molding, this completes the bottom edge of cabinets between the lower cabinets and the floor.

Toe Kick Molding: Base molding attached to the largest rail of the face frame located at the bottom of the cabinet to the floor.

Light Rail Molding: This molding goes underneath the upper cabinets and is generally used to hide lighting fixtures attached under the upper cabinets.

Outside Corner Molding / Corner Cap Molding: These corner caps cover the 90° corners on all of the cabinets.

Scribe Molding: The scribe molding has a flat edge on one side and a beveled edge on the other. When cabinets are attached to the wall, there are usually uneven gaps between them and the scribe is used to cover any imperfections.

Screen Molding: A versatile molding beveled on two sides.

S4S: Surfaced on all four sides.

Common Tools

Miter Saw: A power miter saw, also known as a chop saw or drop saw, is a power tool used to make a quick, accurate crosscuts and miters at a selected angle.

Pin Nailer: A finish nailer for fastening trim and molding without splitting the wood. Uses very thin 23 gauge pins.

Brad Nailer: A brad nailer is a versatile woodworking tool with great holding power. Uses a larger 18 gauge nails.

Multi-tool: A common name for an oscillating power tool that takes a variety of attachment heads. Sometimes referred to as a Master Tool. Can be used to cut, grind, saw, sand, polish, and more.

Nail Punch: A metal rod with a point at the end, struck by a hammer, used to sink a nail below the surface of the wood.

Impact Drill: A power drill that uses both bit rotation and concussive strikes to drive screws in with greater torque.

Chip Brush: A type of paint brush made of natural fibers and a wood handle. Comes in a variety of sizes and can be used for paint, glue, cleaning, and more.